Alister E. McGrath, born in Belfast, Northern Ireland, holds the Chair in Theology, Ministry and Education at King’s College London. He was previously Professor of Historical Theology at Oxford University and Director of the Oxford Center for Christian Apologetics.
Originally a student of science, in 1977 McGrath was awarded a PhD in Biochemistry from Oxford University for his work on molecular biophysics. Following his conversion from atheism to Christianity, he studied divinity at St. John's College at Cambridge (1978-80). It was during this time that he studied for ordination in the Church of England. McGrath was elected University Research Lecturer in Theology at Oxford University in 1993, and also served as research professor of theology at Regent College, Vancouver, from 1993-9. He earned an Oxford Doctorate of Divinity in 2001 for his research on historical and systematic theology.
McGrath has written many books on the interaction of science and faith and is the producer of the 'Scientific Theology' project, encouraging a dialogue between the natural sciences and Christian theology. McGrath is a strong critic of Richard Dawkins, Oxford biology professor and one of the most outspoken atheists. He has addressed Dawkins' criticism of religion in several of his books, most notably in Dawkins Delusion published in 2007 by SPCK and IVP.
- Is God a Delusion? Atheism and the Meaning of Life (MP3)
- Apologetics Through Literature (3 lectures - MP3s)
- Should we rid the mind of God? A debate between Alister McGrath and Peter Atkins (Google Video)
- Alister McGrath’s Christian Theology Audio Online (iTunes)
- Heresy: A History of Defending the Truth (2009)
- A Fine-Tuned Universe: The Quest for God in Science and Theology (2009)
- Christianity's Dangerous Idea: The Protestant Revolution: A History from the Sixteenth Century to the Twenty-First (2008)
- The Open Secret: A New Vision for Natural Theology (2008)
- Doubting: Growing Through the Uncertainties of Faith (2007)
- Thomas F. Torrance: An Intellectual Biography (2006)
- Iustitia Dei: A History of the Christian Doctrine of Justification (2005, 3rd edition)
- The Making of Modern German Christology, 1750-1990 (2005, 2nd edition)
- Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, And The Meaning Of Life (2004)
- A Scientific Theology (2002-2007; 4 volumes)
- Christian Theology: An Introduction (2010, 5th edition)
- The Christian Theology Reader (2008, 4th edition), containing primary sources referred to in his Christian Theology
- Glimpsing the Face of God: The Search for Meaning in the Universe
- Historical Theology: An Introduction to the History of Christian Thought (1998)
- In the Beginning : The Story of the King James Bible and How It Changed a Nation, a Language,and a Culture