Thomas F. Torrance (1913 - Dec 2, 2007) was a 20th century Protestant Christian theologianwho served for 27 years as Professor of Christian Dogmatics at New College, Edinburgh in the University of Edinburgh. Besides writing many books and articles, Torrance also translated several hundred theological writings into English from other languages, including the thirteen-volume, six-million-word Church Dogmaticsof the Swiss theologian Karl Barth(co-edited with G.W. Bromiley). Torrance is considered by some to be one of the most important Reformed theologians of his era.
Born in 1913 to missionary parents in China, Torrance studied Classics as an undergraduate at the University of Edinburgh. He completed his doctorate in 1946 under the supervision of Karl Barthat the University of Basel.
This is a section stub. Please edit it to add information.
- Atonement: The Person and Work of Christ, ed. by Robert T. Walker. IVP Academic, 2009.
- Incarnation: The Person and Life of Christ, ed. by Robert T. Walker. IVP Academic, 2008.
- Reality & Evangelical Theology: The Realism of Christian Revelation. InterVarsity Press, 1999.
- The Incarnation. Wipf & Stock, 1998.
- Theology in Reconstruction. Eerdmans, 1965; Wipf & Stock, 1996.
- The Christian Doctrine of God, One Being Three Persons. T. & T. Clark, 1996.
- Divine Meaning. T & T Clark, 1995.
- Trinitarian Perspectives: Toward Doctrinal Agreement. T. & T. Clark, 1994.
- The Royal Priesthood. 2nd ed. T. & T. Clark, 1955/1993.
- The Hermeneutics of John Calvin. Scottish Academic Press, 1988.
- The Trinitarian Faith: The Evangelical Theology of the Ancient Catholic Church. T. & T. Clark, 1988.
- Reality and Scientific Theology.Scottish Academic Press, 1986.
- Transformation & Convergence in the Frame of Knowledge. Eerdmans, 1984.
- Reality and Evangelical Theology.Philadelphia: Westminster, 1982.
- The Ground and Grammar of Theology. The University Press of Virginia, 1981.
- Christian Theology and Scientific Culture. Christian Journals, 1980.
- Space, Time and Resurrection. GEerdmans, 1976.
- Theology and Reconciliation: Essays Towards Evangelical and Catholic Unity in East and West. Chapman, 1975.
- God and Rationality. Oxford University Press, 1971.
- Space, Time and Incarnation. Oxford University Press, 1969.
- Theological Science. Oxford University Press, 1969.
- Karl Barth: an Introduction to his Early Theology, 1910-1931. Harper, 1962.
- Gerrit Scott Dawson, ed. An Introduction to Torrance Theology: Discovering the Incarnate Saviour(T&T Clark, 2007)
- Alister McGrath, T. F. Torrance: An Intellectual Biography(T&T Clark, 1999), reviewed.
- Elmer M. Colyer, The Promise of Trinitarian Theology: Theologians in Dialogue with T. F. Torrance(Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2002)
- Elmer M. Colyer, The Nature of Doctrine in T. F. Torrance's Theology(Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2001)
- Elmer M. Colyer, How to Read T.F. Torrance: Understanding His Trinitarian & Scientific Theology(IVP, 2001)
- TF Torrance Theological Fellowship
- Thomas Torrance
- Thomas Torrance, from the Boston Collaborative Encyclopedia of Modern Western Theology
- The Relationship between Incarnation and Atonement in the Theology of Thomas F. Torrance, by Gunther Pratz, Journal for Christian Theological Research3:2 (1998)
Torrance and Barth
- Why I think T. F. Torrance is not a Barthian(flash video), by Ben Meyers
- Why I Think…Ben Myers Isn’t Quite Right About T. F. Torrance, by Wade Travis McMaken
- Why T. F. Torrance was a Barthian, by George Hunsinger