Bruce M. Metzger (1914 - 2007), born in Middletown Pennsylvania, is Collard Professor Emeritus of New Testament Language and Literature at Princeton Theological Seminary where he served for forty-six years before retiring in 1984. A recognized
authority on the text of the
New Testament, Metzger has served on the board of the American Bible Society and became the driving force of the United Bible Societies' series of Greek Texts (1966, 1968, 1975, 1993). He was chairperson of the
NRSV Bible Committee, which produced the New Revised Standard Version (1989).
"Along with his translation efforts, Metzger wrote a companion work to the United Bible Societies Greek New Testaments,
A Textual Commentary of The Greek New Testament (1975) wherein he explains and reasons, verse by verse, for the textual decisions of the Committee that totals over 2,000 variant readings. This went one step beyond Erwin Nestle's evidentiary
efforts by actually explaining the Committees thinking during the process of selecting readings, thus allowing students to understand the why behind the UBS Greek Text."
- The Text Of The New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, And Restoration (2005, with Bart D. Ehrman)
- New Testament: Its Background, Growth and Content (2003)
- The Oxford Essential Guide to Ideas and Issues of the Bible (2002 with Michael D. Coogan)
- The Oxford Guide to People & Places of the Bible (2001 with Michael D. Coogan)
- Greek New Testament (2000 with by B. Aland)
- Breaking the Code: Understanding the Book of Revelation : Leader's Guide (1999)
- Revelation 6-16 (Word Biblical Commentary 52b) (1998, with David E. Aune)
- The Canon of the New Testament: Its Origin, Development, and Significance (1997)
- Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament (1994)
- The Oxford Companion to the Bible (1993)
- The Reader's Bible (1983)
- Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek (1969)
- List of Words occurring Frequently in the Coptic New Testament (Sahidic Dialect) (1961)
- Introduction to the Apocrypha (1957)
- The Oxford Concise Concordance to the Revised Standard Version of the Holy Bible (with Isobel M. Metzger)
- Bruce M. Metzger, Reminiscences of an Octogenarian, Hendrickson, 1997.
ISBN 1565632648 (Autobiography)