Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (TEDS) is a Christian evangelical seminary and the educational ministry of the Evangelical Free Church of America (EFCA). Its main campus is located in Deerfield, Illinois and is part of Trinity International University (TIU).

It is accredited with the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada.

Mission

Trinity Evangelical Divinity School exists to serve the church of the Living God by equipping servants for the work of the gospel of Christ worldwide.

Enrollment

Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (TEDS) is a learning community dedicated to the development of servant leaders for the global church, leaders who are spiritually, biblically, and theologically prepared to engage contemporary culture for the sake of Christ's kingdom. TEDS, one of the largest seminaries in the world, enrolls more than 1,200 graduate students in professional and academic programs, including more than 150 in its PhD programs. At the heart of the divinity school lies the Master of Divinity degree, preparing pastors, teachers, and missionaries for many kinds of service. TEDS also offers a range of more focused Master of Arts programs in counseling ministries, Christian thought, New Testament, Old Testament, and other disciplines. The school offers the ThM and DMin as well. Three academic PhD programs cover six departments: Educational Studies, Intercultural Studies, and Theological Studies (OT, NT, Systematic Theology, Historical Theology).

History

Trinity International University traces its roots to 1897 when the Swedish Evangelical Free Church began a ten-week Bible course in the basement of a Chicago church. This soon developed into the Bible Institute of the Swedish Evangelical Free Church of America. In 1884 the Norwegian-Danish Free Church Association had begun the Norwegian-Danish department of the Chicago Theological Seminary. In 1910 the department withdrew from the seminary and established the Norwegian-Danish Bible Institute and Academy—located first in Rushford, Minnesota, and then later in Minneapolis with the name Trinity Seminary and Bible Institute. Between 1946 and 1949 the Swedish school merged with the Norwegian-Danish school to form Trinity Seminary and Bible College, located in Chicago.

During the 1960s the seminary (renamed Trinity Evangelical Divinity School) and the college (renamed Trinity College) moved to their present Deerfield Campus. In 1992 the college established a regional center in Davie, Florida, where the former Miami Christian College became Trinity College at Miami. In 1995, Trinity College, Trinity College at Miami, and Trinity Evangelical Divinity School were united to form Trinity International University. With the inauguration of the university, Trinity College in Deerfield became the College of Arts and Sciences and Trinity College at Miami became Trinity International University–Florida Campus. In 1997 the first class entered Trinity Graduate School. Trinity Law School, located in Santa Ana, California, incorporated into Trinity International University in January 1998. Trinity Law School is accredited with the State Bar of California and is moving toward application for American Bar Association accreditation. The residential undergraduate program in Miami closed in 2000 and the undergraduate and graduate programs were renamed the Trinity International University–Florida Regional Center. In 2002 the College of Arts and Sciences was renamed Trinity College.

Values

  • Christ centeredness
  • Comprehensive education
  • Community
  • Church connectedness
  • Cultural engagement

Faculty

  • Barry J. Beitzel
  • D. A. Carson
  • Robert E. Coleman
  • John S. Feinberg
  • H. Wayne Johnson
  • David L. Larsen
  • Grant Osborne
  • Peter T. O'Brien (visiting)
  • John D. Woodbridge
  • Robert W. Yarbrough

Past faculty

Alumni

External links