Vern Sheridan Poythress (b. 1946) is an evangelical philosopher, theologian, and Professor of
New Testament Interpretation at
Westminster Theological Seminary where he has taught since 1976. In 1981 he was ordained as a teaching elder in the Reformed Presbyterian Church Evangelical Synod, which later merged with the
Presbyterian Church in America.
Poythress earned a Ph.D. in mathematics from Harvard University (1970). After teaching mathematics for a short time, he became a student at Westminster Theological Seminary, where he earned an M.Div. (1974) and a Th.M. in apologetics (1974). Continuing
his theological training, he received a M.Litt. in New Testament from University of Cambridge (1977) and a Th.D. in New Testament from the University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, South Africa (1981).
He has published books on Christian philosophy of science, theological method,
dispensationalism, biblical law, hermeneutics, Bible translation, and Revelation.
- Philosophy, Science, and the Sovereignty of God. Presbyterian and Reformed: 1976, reprinted 2004.
- Symphonic Theology: The Validity of Multiple Perspectives in Theology. Zondervan: 1987.
- Understanding Dispensationalists. 2d ed. Presbyterian and Reformed: 1993.
- Science and Hermeneutics: Implications of Scientific Method for Biblical Interpretation (Foundations of Contemporary Interpretation series, volume 6). Zondervan: 1988.
- The Shadow of Christ in the Law of Moses, Wolgemuth & Hyatt: 1991, reprinted Presbyterian & Reformed: 1995.
- God-Centered Biblical Interpretation. Presbyterian and Reformed: 1999.
- The Returning King: A Guide to the Book of Revelation, Presbyterian and Reformed: 2000.
- The Gender-Neutral Bible Controversy: Muting the Masculinity of Gods Words (with Wayne Grudem). Broadman and Holman: 2000.
- Redeeming Science: A God-Centered Approach. Crossway books: 2006.