Simon Gathercole is a
New Testament scholar and Lecturer in New Testament Studies at Cambridge University and has taught there since 2007. He was formerly Senior Lecturer in New Testament at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland for seven years.
Gathercole received an MA at Cambridge, and then completed a MTh and PhD under
James Dunn at the
University of Durham.^^ Drawn from his dissertation, his book Where is Boasting? (2002) was a critique of the New Perspective on Paul, and focused on Second-Temple Judaism and Romans
Gheens Lectures at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary (2004)
- The Gospel of Judas: Rewriting Early Christianity (Oxford, 2007)
- The Pre-existent Son: Recovering the Christologies of Matthew, Mark, And Luke (Eerdmans, 2006)
- Where is Boasting: Early Jewish Soteriology and Paul's Response in Romans 1-5 (Eerdmans, 2002)
- ed. with J.M.G. Barclay,
Divine and Human Agency in Paul and his Cultural Environment (Continuum, 2006)
- ed. with T. Desmond Alexander,
Heaven on Earth: The Temple in Biblical Theology (Paternoster, 2004)
- ? While Dunn is a founding proponent of the
New Perspective on Paul, Gathercole is opposed to this position.