Missions, also known as missiology, is the area of practical theology which studies the mandate, message and work of the Christian missionary. It is a multi-disciplinary and cross-cultural reflection on all aspects of the spread of the Christian faith, embracing theology, anthropology, history, geography, theories and methods of communication, comparative religion, Christian apologetics, methodology, and inter-denominational relations. Because missiology considers both the positive and the negative consequences, as well as the strategies of the spread of Christianity, missiology also touches on the environmental impact of evangelization and charitable work, including practical facets of international politics and economic development.
One of missiology's most difficult challenges is to distinguish between Christian practices that are essential to Christianity and therefore must be practiced by Christians in all cultures, and other strictly cultural expressions of Christianity that can be changed and adapted to a different culture.
- Biblical Missiology (MP3), by Jeff Vanderstelt (Resurgence National Conference, 2008)
- The Caleb Project - Infobytes Animations (Flash) - Introduction to missions
- History of Missions, a course by Samuel H. Larsen of Reformed Theological Seminary (iTunes)
- God's World Mission (MP3s), by Nelson Jennings - Covenant Worldwide seminary course
- Planting Churches with National Leaders (WhiteFields.org)
History of missions
_This is a section stub. Please edit it to add information._
- John Corrie, ed. Dictionary of Mission Theology: Evangelical Foundations. InterVarsity Press, 2007.
- John Piper, Let the Nations Be Glad. Baker Academic, 2004 (fourth printing).
- Ralph Winter, Perspectives on the World Christian Movement
- Eckhard J. Schnabel, Early Christian Mission, 2 vols. InterVarsity Press, 2004.
- Patrick Johnstone , Operation World: When We Pray God Works
- 10/40 window
- Church planting
- Great Commission
- Heaven and Hell
- Pluralism and Syncretism
- Exclusivism, Inclusivism, and Postmortem evangelization
- Modern Missionary Movement, by Howard Culbertson
- A Bigger—and Smaller—View of Mission, by John Stackhouse
Missional Church Resources, by Arnold Neufeldt-Fast, PhD, Tyndale Seminary, Toronto
Pauline Missiology, by Bassam M. Madany