The Magnificat in English
My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,
for the Mighty One has done great things for me – holy is his name.
His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.
He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts.
He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble.
He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful
to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers. (NIV)
The Magnificat in Latin
_magnificat anima mea Dominum
- *et exultavit spiritus meus in Deo salutari meo
- *quia respexit humilitatem ancillae suae ecce enim ex hoc beatam me dicent omnes generationes
- *quia fecit mihi magna qui potens est et sanctum nomen eius
- *et misericordia eius in progenies et progenies timentibus eum
- *fecit potentiam in brachio suo dispersit superbos mente cordis sui
- *deposuit potentes de sede et exaltavit humiles
- *esurientes implevit bonis et divites dimisit inanes
- *suscepit Israhel puerum suum memorari misericordiae
- *sicut locutus est ad patres nostros Abraham et semini eius in saecula_