I. Howard Marshall is Emeritus Professor of New Testament Exegesis and Honorary Research Professor at the University of Abderdeen (Scotland), specifically in the department of Divinity and Religious Studies. He is also the Chair of the
Tyndale Fellowship for Biblical and Theological Research and was formerly President of the British New Testament Society and Chair of the Fellowship of European Evangelical Theologians. Marshall is generally Arminian in his
theology and an astute exegete.
Speaking of himself, he writes:
"My main interests in research have been Luke-Acts, the Pastoral Epistles, and aspects of New Testament theology. These have 8ed to the publication of commentaries on the Greek text of Luke and the Pastoral Epistles. I have been particularly concerned
with the work of Luke as both historian and theologian; this led to my sharing in the editing of a collection of essays on the theology of Acts."
"More recently I have written part of the second volume of a New Testament introduction for students and edited a revision and updating of Moulton and Geden's Concordance to the Greek New Testament so that it can be used with the current major
editions of the Greek New Testament as well as with older editions."
"In process of publication are a theology of the New Testament aimed primarily at the student market and a section on Acts in a one-volume commentary on the use of the Old Testament in the New Testament. A short book on the problem of how we get
from the Bible to a contemporary theology is due to appear soon. My current project is to collaborate with Stephen N. Williams in a theological commentary on Romans for the Two Horizons series."
"I have taught modules recently at Bibelschule Wiedenest; International Baptist Theological Seminary, Prague; the Evangelical Theological Seminary in Cairo; Donetsk Christian University, Ukraine ..."
- DD, Asbury
- MA, BD, & PhD, University of Aberdeen
- BA, Cambridge
Married to Dr Maureen Wing Sheung Yeung, president of Evangel Seminary, Hong Kong . Four children from a previous marriage.
- Kept by the Power of God, Carlisle: Paternoster Press, 1995 (originally Epworth, 1969; Bethany, 1975).
- Luke: Historian and Theologian, Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1970, 1989.
- New Testament Interpretation (editor), Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1977, 1979.
- The Gospel of Luke (NIGTC), Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1978.
- I believe in the historical Jesus, London: Hodder & Stoughton, 1977.
- The Epistles of John (NICNT), Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1978.
- Acts (TNTC), Leicester: IVP, 1980.
- Last Supper and Lord's Supper, Exeter: Paternoster Press, 1980.
- 1 and 2 Thessalonians (NCB), Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1983.
- Jesus the Saviour: Studies in New Testament Theology, London: SPCK/Downers Grove: IVP, 1990.
- 1 Peter (IVP Commentary Series), Leicester: IVP, 1991.
- The Acts of the Apostles (Sheffield NT Guides), Sheffield Academic Press, 1992.
- The Epistle to the Philippians (Epworth Commentaries), London: Epworth Press, 1992.
- (with K. P. Donfried)
The Theology of the Shorter Pauline Letters, Cambridge University Press, 1993.
- I. H. Marshall and D. Peterson (ed.):
Witness to the Gospel: The Theology of the Book of Acts (Grand Rapids: * Eerdmans, 1998).
- (in collaboration with Philip H. Towner)
A Critical and Exegetical Commentary on The Pastoral Epistles (International Critical Commentary), Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1999.
- Concordance to the Greek New Testament (sixth fully revised edition of the work of Moulton and Geden), London: T&T Clark, 2002.
- (with S.Travis and I. Paul) Exploring the New Testament, Vol.
- London: SPCK, 2002.
- Beyond the Bible: Moving from Scripture to Theology (with essays by Kevin J. Vanhoozer and Stanley E. Porter) Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2004.
- New Testament Theology: Many Witnesses, One Gospel, Downers Grove/Leicester: Inter-Varsity Press, 2004.