Hendrikus Berkhof (1914-1995) was a theologian in the Dutch Reformed church. After receiving his B.D. and Th.D. degrees at the University of Leiden, Berkhof served as a minister for twelve years, as Principal of the Theological Seminary
of the Netherlands Reformed Church from 1950-1960 and many years as Professor of Dogmatics and Biblical Theology at the University of Leiden.
Berkhof was critical of the traditional view of
Scripture and denied both
inerrancy and the infallibility of the Bible. He viewed the virgin birth as a myth and ultimately denied the
deity of Christ, and the
Trinity.^^ In Berkhof's words, "The New Testament shows us a history in which the man Jesus, because of his total obedience even to death, may share
in the life and rule of
- Christ and the Powers. Herald Press, 1977.
- Christian Faith: An Introduction to the Study of the Faith. Eerdmans, 1979.
- Introduction to the Study of Dogmatics. Eerdmans, 1985.
- Two Hundred Years of Theology: Report of a Personal Journey. Eerdmans, 1993.
- Christ the Meaning of History. Wipf & Stock Publishers, 2004. (reprint)
- ? 
The Standard Bearer, Vol. 73; No. 19; August 1, 1997