Frederick Fyvie Bruce (1910 - 1990), also known as F. F. Bruce, was Rylands Professor of Biblical Criticism and Exegesis at the University of Manchester. He was born in Elgin, Morayshire and was educated at the University of Aberdeen, Cambridge University and the University of Vienna. After teaching Greek for several years first at the University of Edinburgh and then at the University of Leeds he became head of the Department of Biblical History and Literature at the University of Sheffield in 1947. In 1959 he moved to the University of Manchester where he became professor of Biblical Criticism and Exegesis. In his career he wrote some thirty-three books and served as editor of The Evangelical Quarterly and the Palestine Exploration Quarterly. He retired from teaching in 1978.
Bruce was a distinguished scholar on the life and ministry of the Apostle Paul, and wrote several studies the best known of which is Paul, Apostle of the Heart Set Free (published in the United Kingdom under the title Paul, the Apostle of the Free Spirit). He also wrote commentaries on several biblical books including the Gospel of John, Acts, 1 & 2 Corinthians, and the Epistle to the Hebrews.
- The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? Eerdmans, 2003. ISBN 0802822193
- Paul, Apostle of the Heart Set Free. Eerdmans, 2000. ISBN 0802847781
- In Retrospect: Remembrance of Things Past. Marshall Pickering, 1980; Baker, 1994.
- A Mind for What Matters: Collected Essays of F.F. Bruce. Eerdmans, 1990.
- The Canon of Scripture. IVP, 1988.
- New Testament History. Doubleday-Galilee, 1983.
- Men and Movements in the Primitive Church. Paternoster, 1979. ISBN 0853647054
- Jesus and Christian Origins Outside the New Testament. Eerdmans, 1974. ISBN 0802815758
- Romans: An Introduction and Commentary. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. Eerdmans, 1983; IVP Academic, 2008.
- The Gospel and Epistles of John. Eerdmans, 1994.
- The Epistles to the Colossians, to Philemon, and to the Ephesians. NICNT. Eerdmans, 1990.
- The Epistle to the Hebrews. NICNT. Eerdmans, 1990.
- Philippians. New International Biblical Commentary. Hendrickson, 1989.
- The Book of the Acts. NICNT. Eerdmans, 1988.
- The Epistles to the Colossians, to Philemon, and to the Ephesians. NICNT. Eerdmans, 1984.
- J. I. Packer, F. F. Bruce, et al., The Origin of the Bible. Tyndale House, 2003. ISBN 0842383670
- Walter Kaiser, F. F. Bruce, et al. Hard Sayings of the Bible. IVP 1996. ISBN 083081423X
- D. A. Hagner & M. J. Harris, eds. Pauline Studies: Essays Presented to F. F. Bruce. Paternoster/Eerdmans, 1980.
- W. Ward Gasque & Ralph P. Martin, eds. _Apostolic History and the Gospel: Biblical and Historical Essays Presented to F. F. Bruce on his 60th Birthday_. Paternoster/Eerdmans, 1970.