Frederick Fyvie Bruce (1910 - 1990), also known as
F. F. Bruce, was Rylands Professor of Biblical Criticism and Exegesis at the University of Manchester. He was born in Elgin, Morayshire and was educated at the University of Aberdeen, Cambridge University and the University of Vienna.
After teaching Greek for several years first at the University of Edinburgh and then at the University of Leeds he became head of the Department of Biblical History and Literature at the University of Sheffield in 1947. In 1959 he moved to the University
of Manchester where he became professor of Biblical Criticism and Exegesis. In his career he wrote some thirty-three books and served as editor of The Evangelical Quarterly and the Palestine Exploration Quarterly. He retired from teaching in 1978.
Bruce was a distinguished scholar on the life and ministry of the Apostle Paul, and wrote several studies the best known of which is
Paul, Apostle of the Heart Set Free (published in the United Kingdom under the title Paul, the Apostle of the Free Spirit). He also wrote commentaries on several biblical books including the
Gospel of John,
2 Corinthians, and the
Epistle to the Hebrews.
- The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable? Eerdmans, 2003.
- Paul, Apostle of the Heart Set Free. Eerdmans, 2000.
- In Retrospect: Remembrance of Things Past. Marshall Pickering, 1980; Baker, 1994.
- A Mind for What Matters: Collected Essays of F.F. Bruce. Eerdmans, 1990.
- The Canon of Scripture. IVP, 1988.
- New Testament History. Doubleday-Galilee, 1983.
- Men and Movements in the Primitive Church. Paternoster, 1979.
- Jesus and Christian Origins Outside the New Testament. Eerdmans, 1974.
- Romans: An Introduction and Commentary. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries. Eerdmans, 1983; IVP Academic, 2008.
- The Gospel and Epistles of John. Eerdmans, 1994.
- The Epistles to the Colossians, to Philemon, and to the Ephesians. NICNT. Eerdmans, 1990.
- The Epistle to the Hebrews. NICNT. Eerdmans, 1990.
- Philippians. New International Biblical Commentary. Hendrickson, 1989.
- The Book of the Acts. NICNT. Eerdmans, 1988.
- The Epistles to the Colossians, to Philemon, and to the Ephesians. NICNT. Eerdmans, 1984.