Marriage is a contractual bond ordained by God in affirmation of man's need for woman (Genesis 2:18) in which a man and a woman come together in a relationship which knits them together as one flesh (Genesis 2:24). The unique differences between man and woman are part of what it means to be made in the image of God (Genesis 1:27). Despite the fact that procreation is not the singular goal of marriage, it is also expected to fulfill the commandment to have children, intended by God as a blessing (Genesis 1:28).
- Is Same-sex Marriage About Equality?, by Greg Koukl - Is marriage something in particular or is it whatever you want it to be? Does it have a natural teleology?
- (Cultivating a Healthy Marriage](http://sermons2.redeemer.com/sermons/cultivating-healthy-marriage) (MP3), by Timothy and Kathy Keller
- "He who finds a wife finds a good thing..." (Proverbs 18:22)
- "Let marriage be held in honor among all..." (Hebrews 13:4)
The marriage relationship was intended to be:
- Permanent – divorce is always a result of sin (Deut 24:1-4; Mal 2:14; Luke 16:18; 1 Cor 7:1-16, 39)
- Partnership – the husband and wife speak with one voice (Genesis 2:20; Proverbs 1:8-9; 6:20-21; 10:1; 15:20, 19:26, 20:20, 23:22,25)
- Personal - "...the companion of her youth..." uses the Hebrew word for intimate friend (Proverbs 2:16-17; cf 16:28)
- Passionate - "...be intoxicated always in her love." (Proverbs 5:18-19)
- Profit - "...crown of her husband"; "...a good thing" (Proverbs 12:4; 18:22; 19:14)
- What Really *Is* the Institution of Marriage?, by Timothy Dalrymple
- Should Government Get Out of the Marriage Business? Should Churches Get Out of the Legal Business?, by Justin Taylor