Eugene H Merrill
Eugene Haines Merrill is an Old Testament scholar who has served as a distinguished professor of Old Testament studies at Dallas Theological Seminary and 2010 president of the Evangelical Theological Society.
- True Servanthood, DTS Chapel on July 7, 2010
- God's Mission - Our's As Well?, DTS Chapel on October 30, 2009
- The Wisdom That Is From Above, DTS Chapel on August 1, 2007
Early life, family, and education
Merrill was born September 12 1934, in Anson, Maine, and trusted Christ as his Savior around the age of 15. He attended Bob Jones University, where he earned his B.A. (1957), M.A. in Bible (1960), and Ph.D. in Old Testament interpretation (1963). He married Janet (née Hippensteel) in December 1960. After moving to New York for his wife to complete her doctorate, Merrill earned an earned his M.A. in Jewish Studies at New York University (1970), and his M.Phil. (1976) and Ph.D. (1985) in Middle East languages and culture at Columbia University.
Merrill taught at Bob Jones University from 1963 until 1966, then at Berkshire Christian College from 1968 until 1975. He joined the faculty of Dallas Theological Seminary in 1975, where he remains active in teaching and writing. He is a member of the American Oriental Society, the Near East Archaeological Society, the Society of Biblical Literature, and the Evangelical Theological Society.
Merrill has published seven books, contributed to several other collaborative projects, served as a translator in three biblical text projects, and written nearly 200 scholarly articles, mostly for Bibliotheca Sacra. Significant titles include:
- Qumran and Predestination: A Theological Study of the Thanksgiving Hymns (1975)
- The Accession Year and Davidic Chronology (1986)
- Genesis Debate (1986)
- 1, 2 Chronicles: Bible Study Commentary (1988)
- Israel's Apostasy and Restoration (1988)
- Royal Priesthood: An Old Testament Messianic Motif (1991)
- An Historical Survey of the Old Testament (1991)
- A Biblical Theology of the Old Testament (1991)
- Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi: An Exegetical Commentary (1994)
- Deuteronomy (1994)
- The Old Testament Explorer: Discovering the Essence, Background, and Meaning of Every Book in the Old Testament (2001)
- Die Geschichte Israels: Ein Königreich Von Priestern (2001)
- The Bible Knowledge Key Word Study: Genesis--Deuteronomy (2003)
- Everlasting Dominion: A Theology of the Old Testament (2006)
- Kingdom of Priests: A History of Old Testament Israel (2008)
- Grisanti, Michael A., David M. Howard, editor (2003). Giving the sense: understanding and using Old Testament historical texts. Kregel Academic. pp 457-459. ISBN 0825428920.