Biblical and theological dictionaries have become increasingly available since the second half of the twentieth century and are important for anyone involved in biblical and theological studies. Due to the booming work of scholarship it has become nearly impossible to keep up with various fields of study. Thus, these dictionaries have become vital resources which provide helpful summaries of important subjects (movements, individuals, doctrines, etc.) and often provide a preliminary bibliography. However, the limit of these resources lay in their time of publication. That is, each dictionary provides information and tools which often represent concerns and movements of its time.
- Alexander, Rosner, Goldsworthy and Carson, eds. New Dictionary of Biblical Theology. IVP, 2000.
- Freedman, ed. Anchor Bible Dictionary, 6 vols. Doubleday,
- (Often cited as ABD)
- Freedman, ed. Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible. Eerdmans, 2000.
Old Testament studies
- Botterweck and Ringgren, eds. Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament, 15 vols. Eerdmans, 1978.
- VanGemeren, New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis, 5 vols. Zondervan, 1997.
- Alexander and Baker, eds. Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch. IVP, 2003.
- Arnold and Williamson, eds. Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books. IVP, 2005.
- Longman and Enns, eds. Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry & Writings. IVP, 2008.
New Testament Studies
- Kittel and Friedrich, eds. Theological Dictionary of the New Testament, 10 vols. Eerdmans, 1964-76; reprint 2006. (Often cited as TDNT)
- Brown, ed. The New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, 4 vols. Zondervan, 1986; abridged, 2003.
- Green and McKnight, eds. Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. IVP, 1992.
- Hawthorne et al., eds. Dictionary of Paul and His Letters. IVP, 1993.
- Martin and Davids, eds. Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Developments. IVP, 1997.
- Evans and Porter, eds. Dictionary of New Testament Background. IVP, 2000.
- Elwell, ed. Evangelical Dictionary of Theology, 2nd ed. Baker, 2001.
- Ferguson, Wright and Packer, eds. New Dictionary of Theology. IVP, 1988.
- McKim, ed. Westminster Dictionary of Theological Terms. WJK, 1996.
- Cross and Livingstone, eds. Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church, 3rd ed. Oxford, 2005; concise ed., 2006.
- Hastins et al, eds. The Oxford Companion to Christian Thought. Oxford, 2000.
- Holloman, ed. Kregel Dictionary of the Bible and Theology. Kregel, 2005.
- Achtemeier, ed. HarperCollins Bible Dictionary, Revised ed. HarperOne, 1996.
- Trevor Hart, ed. The Dictionary of Historical Theology. Eerdmans, 2000.
- Atkinson et al., eds. New Dictionary of Christian Ethics & Pastoral Theology. IVP, 1995.
- Corrie, ed. Dictionary of Mission Theology: Evangelical Foundations. IVP, 2007.
- Dyrness and Karkkainen, eds. Global Dictionary of Theology. IVP, 2008.
- Vanhoozer, general ed. Dictionary for Theological Interpretation of the Bible. Baker Academic, 2005; SPCK, 2005.
- McKim, Dictionary of Major Biblical Interpreters. IVP Academic, 2007.
- Coggins and Houlden, eds. A Dictionary of Biblical Interpretation. Trinity, 1990.
- Larsen, ed. Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals. IVP, 2003.